What are the most transformative moments of your life? Did they happen on the baseball field? In the outdoors? While doing art? Recreation is a transformative experience for many, but a luxury unattainable for so many youth at HomePlate. In response to consistent feedback from youth who were seeking more opportunities to engage in the HomePlate community, HomePlate hired a full-time Programming Coordinator to work with community partners to bring more recreational and developmental programming opportunities to HomePlate.
We have a few annual traditions
- Beach Trip: Our annual trip to the Oregon coast and Tillamook Cheese Factory is always a hit with the youth. Our full day excursion includes climbing the dunes, exploring Seaside, a tour of the Tillamook Cheese Factory, and of course a big ol’ scoop of Tillamook ice cream!
- Adventure Partners: We have developed great local partnerships that have opened up access to some amazing outdoor alternaive sporting opportunities including stand up paddle boarding with SUPortland, a white water rafting trip with Adventures Without Limits, biking at Stub Stewart State Park courtesy of the Hillsboro Parks and Recreation Department, and a morning of rock climbing at The Portland Rock Gym.
- Drop-in Programming: Our Employment and Programming Coordinators are currently teaming up to create responsive and relevant programming for our drop-in sites covering topics including: access to housing, renter retention, access to various education programs, soft skill and team building opportunities, and access to employment.
What's on deck for 2018?
- August 25 HomePlate Annual Oregon Coast Trip for Youth
- Other 2018 Activities TBD
Interested in sponsoring one of these trips or programs? Have an idea of your own? Email Lydia Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org or see our Sponsorship page. We also need volunteers to help with trips, so please contact Lydia or Amy Smetana at email@example.com for more information.
Want to hear more about our outings? Stay tuned to our Facebook page for photos and upcoming announcements!